What does a US Expat need to do at year end? Advice from international tax accountants

We’ll share our professional recommendations with you now. Alternatively, you can download the PDF copy of this information, so that you can read in your own time.

If you are a US citizen you will be aware that as we are reaching the end of the financial year (December 31) it’s time to start thinking about your tax return for 2020, even if you live abroad.

Although it’s not normally due until April 15, or June 15 for those taxpayers living outside the US, last year’s filing deadline was extended to July 15 due to the pandemic. To date, no such extension has been announced for the 2020 Federal tax return season. State and local filing deadlines vary from State to State.

However, whether April or June, it’s never too soon to start preparing the information that you will require to ensure that the process runs smoothly. As usual, if you can’t meet the April or June deadlines, there is the option to file for an extension of time.

What do I need to do?

There are various pieces of information and documents that you will need to gather and prepare, if you are a US citizen residing abroad, as well as completing a tax return form. This information will include:


A schedule of the countries (including USA) you have visited with dates of arrival and departure

Wages, salaries and compensation

All official documentation (e.g. W-2, P60, P45, payslips, etc.) as well as any self-employed records of income and expenses.

Interest and dividend income

This is either from a foreign bank, domestic bank or other financial institution.

Any other income

This could include income from partnerships, trusts, or other business interests that you have.

Interest, taxes, and other deductible expenses paid

As a US citizen, mortgage interest, property taxes, and State income/sales taxes can count as a deductible expense. Other deductible expenses can include charitable contributions, alimony, and medical expenses.

Foreign housing expenses

You may be eligible to deduct the cost of your accommodation outside the US.


You must provide information including, if available, Social Security Numbers (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Numbers (ITIN) of your dependents.

Foreign financial accounts

You will need to provide information regarding your foreign bank and other financial accounts.

Foreign trusts, companies, and partnerships

If you have an interest in a foreign entity such as a trust, company, or partnership, you may need to provide detailed information about that entity.

The sooner you start to gather the correct information the better, and if you are unsure what applies to you or what can be counted as a deduction ,,contact your tax specialist who will be able to guide you.

Year-End Planning

In addition to preparing for next year’s tax filings, you might wish to consider a few simple year-end planning exercises to make your tax affairs run more smoothly:

  • Paying any foreign taxes due before the end of the year – the default US tax rules on claiming credits for foreign taxes paid are to consider taxes actually paid during the calendar year. So, paying before the end of the year will mean the the credit will be available on the current year’s tax return.
  • Realising capital losses – if you have realised capital gains for the year, you may also wish to consider realising any potential capital losses to minimise your tax exposure, as losses can be carried forward but not backwards. If this is something that you are keen to explore, you may wish to consult your financial adviser (if you have one) before taking any action.
  • Consider whether to make other deductible payments, such as charitable donations and State tax payments during the current year.
  • With a new Administration set to take over at The White House in January, there is abundant speculation around tax law changes that might be implemented, including reductions in gift and estate tax exemptions, and increases in income tax and long term capital gains tax rates. Whilst none of this can be predicted with any degree of certainty, you may wish to address how any changes might impact you.

Do the new laws affect you?

New US tax laws were passed in December 2019 extending a number of expiring provisions. Additionally, some new tax changes take effect from 2020 including:

  • Changing the age for required minimum distributions from retirement plans from 70.5 years to 72 years.
  • Repeal of the maximum age for traditional IRA contributions.
  • More generous provisions for deducting charitable donations, including a repeal of the AGI limitation and an ‘above the line’ deduction of up to $300.

If you are uncertain which of these breaks could benefit you or your family when you file your US tax return, here at Everfair we are always available to advise you based on your personal circumstances.

Do I need a tax specialist?

Although as a US citizen living abroad it is not necessary to engage a US tax specialist to help file US tax returns, it will definitely save you time and give you peace of mind, and it could minimise the amount of tax you could ultimately pay by ensuring all the tax breaks, exemptions and deductible expenses are taken into account, as well as reducing your risk of double taxation.

Obviously the more time, stress and tax saved will vary on your personal circumstances and how complex your financial situation is.

For peace of mind, and a stress-free US tax return, why not ,,contact us today and ensure your tax return is as accurate and as beneficial for you as possible.

gillian has an excellent understanding of international tax matters

Which is absolutely vital for me as I am an EU national residing in the UK.

We were very pleased with the advice that everfair tax gave us

Thank you very much for all your kind help and assistance. We are extremely grateful that they followed on with notes of our telecon.

It was a stroke of good luck when we connected with the kind consultants at everfair tax

They proved to be invaluable as we found our way through a maze of forms pertaining to our particular dual citizenship tax issues, and brought up scenarios it hadn’t even occurred to us to consider.

I’d be happy to serve as a reference for any prospective clients.

Thanks to you and your team for all your efforts, which I greatly appreciate.

Everfair Tax offers a very professional service with extremely helpful staff

All my needs were met by their stellar team. I would be happy to recommend them to friends and family.

The team handling my US return were extremely pleasant

They were professional, helpful, polite, and very responsive. They always got back to me by email or set up a video call to explain matters. I would have no hesitation in recommending Everfair Tax to people I know.

The team at Everfair Tax have been a pleasure to work with

The whole process has been very clear and efficient. I have been confident in recommending their services to my colleagues.

All timelines were met, and all questions were answered punctually

My tax situation was complex, but it was well understood by Everfair Tax. I can see this expertise is borne by strong experience.

Everfair Tax has been outstanding in their services and their client care

Everfair Tax has been quick and efficient in responding to my inquiries, providing me with information, and setting up meetings. They have been helpful and clear in their explanations of tax matters and my particular liabilities.


For updates featuring tax changes, reminders for deadlines, pointers on how to maximise your accounts, and information on Everfair Tax and their activities: you need look no further than our news & resources pages.

Contact Us

Need some UK, US or International advice?
Contact us now.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Weybridge Office

No. 5 The Heights, Wellington Way,
Weybridge, Surrey KT13 0NY

Tel: 01932 320 800

London Office

40 Gracechurch Street,
London, EC3V 0BT

Tel: 020 3949 5999
Email: info@everfairtax.co.uk

Find us on