What Do You Need To Do Before The U.S. Tax Year Ends?

What Do You Need To Do Before The U.S. Tax Year Ends?

For most U.S. taxpayers the 31st December is the last day you can make any changes that will impact on your 2016 tax returns. Gillian Everall from Everfair Tax recommends that you give yourself plenty of time to consider options for maximising your tax position and has put together some pointers to help you get the ball rolling. Start with your Capital Gains Tax and decide whether you can sell assets to realise a capital gain or loss to ensure you minimise any capital gains tax payable. This allowance cannot be carried forward to subsequent years, so we would advise clients to use this tax-free allowance and reduce the risk of incurring significant Capital Gains Tax bills in subsequent years. One that is often forgotten is charitable contributions. It is worth considering any benefits and specifically the timings for making such contributions as they are counted as deductible for the year they were made. Pensions are next. By paying money into your pension, you can help minimise your tax bill. For the US there are set allowances in place and unlike the UK, unclaimed allowances from previous years cannot be rolled forward. And lastly, a federal foreign tax credit is granted for foreign income taxes. Those living outside the U.S. are eligible for foreign earned income exclusion, which will again reduce your taxable income. There are also some more general housekeeping points to consider. Have you moved house in the last year? Check that the IRS have been advised using the Form 8822 which should then be posted to the address shown on the form. Has your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number’s lapsed, if so you must renew it immediately using the W7 form. As from 1st January 2017, ITIN’s that have not been used at least once in the past three years on a tax return will be invalid. In addition, any ITIN’s with the middle digits of 78 or 79 will have expired in January 2017. Should you fail to renew before filing a tax return, your refunds may be delayed and you may not be entitled to some tax credits. And, non US citizens with US investments should also remember to check their W-8BEN as this expires every three years. Known as the ‘Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding’, this form confirms that you are not a U.S. taxpayer and that lower withholding rates should be applied to dividend income. If you would like some more information and would like to speak to someone regarding your tax and accounting affairs, please call us on 01932 428536, email info@everfairtax.co.uk or visit our website www.everfairtax.co.uk Gillian Everall is Managing Director and Head of Private Client Tax Services for Everfair Tax. Specialising in UK, US and Expatriate Tax, they provide a unique tax advisory and compliance service that assists both individuals and companies. Whether you have a change of family or professional circumstances, are a US citizen living in the UK or elsewhere with the tax complexities that brings, or are a company getting to grips with the need to move employees internationally, Everfair Tax can help


Gillian Everall

Recent Posts
Search By Tags

Everfair Tax : Weybridge Office

Suite 6, The Monument Building, 45-47 Monument Hill, Weybridge, Surrey, KT13 8RN  
Tel:  01932 320 800 

Email: info@everfairtax.co.uk

  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter
  • Facebook

Everfair Tax : London Office

40 Gracechurch Street, London, EC3V 0BT